As part of the 2A Outdoor Education course we are doing Mountain Biking. Lesson ideas and resources below:
- Bike body separation. One of our first lessons (after a general bike intro) was based on the concept of ‘bike-body separation’ and the content explored in these two videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZgm4Sexihs and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIV5ywDm2cY
- ‘Skill Drills’ (ie. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQKLXPbJwJA) I used a whole heap of ropes to create a ‘course’ across the oval. Also used ‘agility poles’ and ‘soccer corner poles’ as ‘gates’ to cycle between.
- Useful Instructional videos via YouTube channel ‘MTB Tips’ http://www.youtube.com/user/mtbtips?feature=watch and ‘XtremeMountainBiking’ http://www.youtube.com/user/xtrememountainbiking?feature=watch
- Complete a risk assessment at a BMX track. As part of this risk assessment complete a ‘track inspection’. Discuss the differences between BMX bikes and Mountain bikes and hence the potential for ‘increased’ risks/hazards for MTBs riding these types of tracks.
- Pump Track and parts of the Kalamunda Circuit for a day excursion http://www.everytrail.com/guide/kalamunda-circuit
- Overnight expedition in Dwellingup http://www.everytrail.com/guide/marrinup and http://www.mundabiddi.org.au/trip-planning/daily-ride-guide.html